What is ASD? Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects how people communicate and relate to others. Many individuals on the Autism Spectrum have difficulty with social interaction, communication challenges, and demonstrate restrictive or repetitive interests or actions. Symptoms and their severity vary widely and for each person, the effects are different.
JVS offers ASD assessments for children, adolescents and adults which can identify both strengths and challenges.
How it works:
- During the initial session, a JVS Psychologist will administer the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2); a standardized assessment of social and communication challenges associated with the spectrum of autism.
- An in-depth interview with parents/caregivers to uncover longstanding patterns of behaviours specific to ASD using the Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R).
- The final session will include a review of the assessment results, provide a diagnosis, practical recommendations, and referrals to resources to help you or your child move forward.
For more information on ASD Assessments, contact:
Cogmed Working Memory Training for ADHD
Evidence-based research indicates that Cogmed Working Memory Training improves attention and concentration. This innovative program is designed for children, adolescents and adults with working memory deficits, including those with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and some learning disabilities. The training is computerized and includes support from a trained JVS Toronto coach.
How it works:
- An initial phone interview
- Start-up session including computerized Executive Function pre-testing
- Five weeks at-home training with weekly coaching sessions
- Wrap-up session including computerized Executive Function post-testing
For more information on our Cogmed services, contact:
JVS Toronto is a COGMED Qualified Practice
Anxiety Treatment Clinic
What is anxiety? Anxiety is a normal human emotion, experienced by all of us in response to stressful situations. For some, however, feelings of fear or nervousness are extremely strong or happen very frequently and become overwhelming. These individuals often have limited coping strategies to manage their persistent worries. The anxiety may interfere with their day-to-day functioning.
Our clinic offers:
- Individual consultations to explore and evaluate anxiety symptoms.
- Evidence-based psychological treatment with experienced and qualified therapists.
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). This collaborative, skill-building approach teaches children, adolescents and adults how to identify and manage anxious feelings. Research has provided strong evidence that CBT is effective in treating anxiety.
How it works:
- An initial consultation with a therapist to explore the individual concerns helps determine the form and length of treatment
- Weekly counselling sessions
- When the client is a child, parental involvement is included and is individualized based on the age and needs of each child
$180 per hour
For more information on our anxiety treatment services, contact: